Family Health Expert Forum
Scar tissue concern (cosmetic)

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Scar tissue concern (cosmetic)

Five weeks ago I had a face lift (tightening to behind the ears, jaw and neck).   Under my chin was lipo suctioned and two tubes were put in behind the ears and ran across my neck for 24 hours for draining.

Two weeks ago I noticed a hardening behind the ears, the left one is the size of a quarter.  Also, I have little bumps under my chin and a large long one across my jaw on the right.  They are getting hard and are not just swelling as the Doctor and her staff suggest, they say it will go away.

I am very concerned about scar tissue forming.  The large bump behind the left ear is actually pulling the skin and tightening it to the point it is wrinkling into the tissue. I am getting a lot of tightening under and across my chin area.

Do you think it is scar tissue and if so, what can I do?  When I call the office the employee that speaks for the Dr. keeps telling me that it has just been a few weeks and it will all smooth out.  I am not sure about this and would like your opinion and advice.  If it is scar tissue, how can it be removed or lessened?  I am not very happy.

Thank you so much
Scar tissue would have a different, harder consistency that should improve while healing.  Without being familiar with your case, I cannot comment exactly on how it's going to heal.  That is a question that needs a physician to physically see the lesion.  If you aren't happy with the explanations that you are receiving, you can also obtain another opinion.

If the scar tissue persists over an extended period of time, there are some cases where steroid injections may help - but this is something that should be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
1 Comment
It's typical of any surgery that the tissues within the field get harder over time before they soften back up; you are still well within that range. If the areas of your concern are under the surface, they will almost certainly recede over the next several weeks; and there's nothing you or your doctor can do to affect that process at this stage. If your concern is about areas actually visible, meaning the incisions themselves, it's possible to develop unsightly scars on the surface and there are topical applications that can affect the process. It would seem to me that if you are having concerns, it's your doctor's obligation to address them; tell the nurse that you need to come in and be examined by the doctor; you hired them to serve you and you presumably paid cash on the barrelhead. You have a right to ask to be seen, if that's what you need.