Family Health Expert Forum
Tetanus infection

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Tetanus infection

Hello

Should I seek medical attention is my question.  Approximately 6 days ago while working in asia, I sustained an abrasion  injury to my right foot either from equipment placed in or exiting a swimming pool.  This was not a hotel pool,  It is used for safety training.

The wound bled quite a bit, and there was only a very basic medical kit available.  The local people were eager to help and tried to put anything they could find on the wound which I  tried to stop.  I treated it as Best I could, but it was not very hygienic I retreated it several hours later and continue to treat it each day.

The next day I noticed I felt a bit of weakness, which seems to come and go plus fatigue: I just feel down occasionally . I have no fever,  occasionally experience some minor  twitching in my hand and foot (which I have experienced before) and yesterday noticed my right jaw seemed sore and a little tight when I open my mouth and this continues.

I am in the UK now, and as you might guess do a lot of traveling.  Im sure some of this could be attributed to jet lag and stress,  but it has been more than ten years since my last tetanus booster shot.  Do you think Tetanus is possible and when, if I should at all, seek medical attention.  

I also was wondering where in London or ?,  I could go for treatment if necessary?

Cheers!
I would certainly have the wound looked at.  Tetanus is certainly possible, especially if you have not been vaccinated.  

Typically, the diagnosis is made clinically, and typically consists of the following characteristics:

* Stiff neck
    * Opisthotonus (orm of spasm in which head, neck and spine are arched backwards)
    * Risus sardonicus (sardonic smile)
    * A board-like rigid abdomen
    * Periods of apnea
    * Dysphagia (problems swallowing)

If there is concern about tetanus, I would seek immediate medical attention, as this is a life-threatening disease.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
1 Comment
A related discussion, Tetanus was started.
A related discussion, sorejawbone was started.