Family Health Expert Forum
Thumb Sprain

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Thumb Sprain

I injured my thumb about a week and a half ago when I was lifting a microwave onto a stand that was too high.  I lost my grip with one hand, and it bent my right thumb wrong.  I went to the doctor on Monday, and she took an x-ray, and said nothing was broken.  She said continue taking advil and try to rest it, and that was all.  It's not getting any better--it's still getting worse.  THe second joint (where it attaches to the hand) is still swollen and quite sore.  I have no strength when I grip with my thumb.  I just can't seem to rest it enough to heal, because i am quite busy and am packing and cleaning for moving etc.  Should I revisit my Doctor to see if there is something worse than a sprain?  Could I get a brace or splint to wear to help rest it and let it heal while I'm so busy, or would that cause problems from lack of motion?  I don't want a permanently damaged thumb, but I would like it to heal more quickly than it is.

Emily
Dear Emily,

Thank you for visiting the Family Practice Forum.
I am going to assume that your doctor read the Xray correctly and therefore you have no fracture. It sounds like you have a fairly significant sprain of the thumb, however. This would typically improve with the use of "gentle" range of motion exercises and possibly the use of an anti-inflammatory medication such as Motrin. I rarely, if ever, put patients with a thumb sprain in a splint, unless they continue to "overuse" the sprained area. Sometimes a splint helps to serve as a reminder to "rest" the area. It sounds like you have probably not rested the area long enough.
If the pain persists despite rest, anti-inflammatory medication (i.e. Motrin), and gentle range of motion exercises, after a few weeks your doctor may consider sending you to a "hand therapist" (a type of "occupational therapist") for some more aggressive therapy to the thumb.
Remember, in many cases sprains may take up to 4 weeks (or more) to fully heal. The most important factor in helping a sprain heal is to make sure you "REST" it. If you are going to wear a splint, make sure you take it off at least twice a day to perform gentle range of motion exercises. This will help avoid stiffness in the joint.
I hope this helps!
Every time i practice football, like my catching skills, my left thumb a ways seem to get sprain or brused. Why? My right is always at 100% but not the left. Am i catching a wrong way or is my left thumb just weaker than my right? Also how can i heal it?