Family Health Expert Forum
Unusual period on birth control
About This Forum:

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Unusual period on birth control

Hi. I'm on the pill, orthotriciclin, and I don't always take it at the same time. I often work late or don't make it home where I keep them.  I have missed a day here and there. My period always starts on a Wednesday. In the evening like clock work. Last month it started on a Thursday, and a day off the typical 28 day cycle I maintain. It was a regular period with the regular symptoms. This month, it also started on a Thursday. It is however pretty light, and lighter cramping. I am sexually active w my live in boyfriend.  I started the pill in December, so seven months now. I do plan to take a pregnancy test, but is this normal? Do others experience this?
5614495_tn?1371832804
As you know, it’s really important to take the birth control pill at the same time each day, and not to miss a day, otherwise the effectiveness of the birth control goes down and it is possible for you to ovulate and get pregnant.

To answer your question, yes, it is possible that this is all normal -- your periods will get lighter while on the pill. It is also possible that you could be pregnant since you have missed pills.

I recommend you take a pregnancy test to make sure you are not pregnant, and then find a system to remember to take your pill at the same time every morning. Can you set a phone alarm? Send yourself automatic text messages at the same time every day? Get in the habit of taking it with lunch? Or, perhaps consider other forms of birth control that you don’t have to remember every day: such as the patch, an intrauterine device, or Nexplanon.  Good luck!
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank