Family Health Expert Forum
Weight gain in stomach area

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Weight gain in stomach area

I am.a 47 yr old female that is not going through pre menopause. I have gained 20 pounds in the last year and a half. I am not a big eater, but have tried to lose this. I just recently had my gallbladder removed and this started around the time I started have weight gain in my tummy. I have been told I have Berretts esophagus. Could this be causing the weight in my stomach?
Barrett’s esophagus occurs because of cellular changes in the end part of the esophagus, often due to chronic acid exposure from your stomach. It is a precursor to cancer and is very important to monitor, but this would not explain your recent weight gain. If anything, it would lead to weight loss.

As we get older, particularly in your life stage of perimenopause, it’s very common to gain weight as your metabolism and hormones change. This is very common and frustrating, but that there ARE things you can do about it!

First, focus on what you are putting into your body: Are you eating a lot of sugar? Drinking sodas? Eating a lot of processed foods? I recommend cutting out all of that and eating whole, raw, fresh foods. Dr. Furhman’s website is a great resource for this Nutritarian diet: http://www.drfuhrman.com/.

Second, make sure you build muscle. As we get older, our muscle is lost and replaced with fat. Muscle helps burn calories, so build weight training into your daily routine (with yoga, pilates, or your own weights at home).  

In addition to closely watching your diet and increasing your weight lifting and activity levels, I would recommend you speak with your doctor about your concern. There are some other possible explanations for weight gain, and he/she may recommend having labs checked, including your thyroid.