Family Health Expert Forum
What are the chances ultrasound can miss dvt

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

I have been having this recurring fear that I have dvt, i have had a ultrasound and it was all clear, the pain was in my calf and once the ultrasound was clear I stopped worrying about it, I started again a few days ago with some calf pain, I think from working out and now I have started having "warmth" in my foot and thigh, I don't think it actually is warm to touch, I am just feeling the warmth. Even though I don't have any risk factors for dvt I am still so worried that I might have it. Is it possible that I could have had a clot and it went away prior to the ultrasound and is now back again?
Dear fromtexas,

Thanks for writing in.

I can understand your concern. It is true that ultrasound of the calf veins for any suspected deep venous thrombosis (DVT) can miss the diagnosis and can give false negative results. During compression, the probe may slide off of the vessel wall and may also lead to false negative results.

The chances of an ultrasound missing a clot or a new clot forming as a result or embolism (clot forming somewhere else and moving to the calf) are also there. Hence if you are having a feeling of warmth (which can be due to parasthesias), peripheral vascular disease should also be ruled out.

However, these paresthesias can also be due to diabetes, hypothyroidism, peripheral vascular disease, vitamin B12 deficiency, neurological causes or malnutrition.

Get your blood sugar and thyroid hormones levels evaluated. You can take some vitamin B12 supplements for some days and see if the symptoms improve.

Color flow venous duplex scanning of the proximal and distal veins is the current standard for routine clinical assessment of possible lower extremity DVT. You can get it done to conclusively rule out DVT. You can also get non-invasive investigations like a CT scan/MRI scan done.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Jasvinder Singh