Family Health Expert Forum
When is an Xray needed?

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

When is an Xray needed?

I have been coughing for 3 weeks now.  Sudden onset in the middle of the morning at 2 am.  Like I had swallowed down the wrong tube, however it wouldn't stop.  It was as if I was suddenly drowning.  I went to ER.  They said I choked or had bronchitis and sent me home after a brief lung treatment and prescription for cough in pill form.  It didnt work by the way.  A week later I still had a bad cough and the fires were going full force and I work at the base of the Old fire.  The smoke was really bothering me.  My doctor gave me liquid cough syrup and that has helped.  Now 3 weeks later, I am still coughing and feel very tired and have a low grade temp and sometimes feel a little nauseated.  My back hurts, my chest hurts and I feel really sick.  I have been trying to work through all of this but today I stayed home.  Last night I went to my HMO and they said they didn't hear any sounds in the steth and sent me home with ERY-TAB 250 and no Xray.  I feel like they should of done an Xray, when is an Xray needed?
There are several reasons for chronic cough.  The first thing to rule out would be an infection.  If it has been going on for 3 weeks, it would certainly be reasonable to take an X-ray.  

If the X-ray is negative and the cough continues despite antibiotics, then other causes should be considered.  There are a class of antihypertensives known as Ace-inhibitors that can cause chronic cough.

Other causes include GERD, post-nasal drip, and asthma.  They can be evaluated by an upper GI series/24-hr pH study, sinus films, and pulmonary function tests respectively.  

If you are not satisfied with the treatment, you may want to consider a second opinion.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.