Family Health Expert Forum
sore throat only when coughing and leaning back

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Hello, I've had this peculiar sore throat the past month and a half.  It exists in the upper part of my throat and only hurts when I cough while I am leaning back with my head bent forward.  So if I'm leaning back while sitting on the couch and I cough, then my throat bothers me.  Also, if I stretch really hard and tilt my head forward my throat bothers me.  There is also a slight feeling of a lump in my throat.  Again, only at the top of my throat.  And if I cough at any other time where I don't have my head tilted forward, it doesn't bother me.  I have had a persistent cough for some time as well, but it is non productive.  I do have coughing fits on occasion, especially after some form of activity, such as running.  I don't drink or smoke, although I wouldn't say I have the healthiest diet.  Any idea as to what could be causing this?  I've looked everywhere but have yet to find symptoms exactly like mine.  So any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
One of the more common causes for a lump in the throat (i.e. globus sensation) can be GERD.  Post-nasal drip from chronic sinusitis is another cause.  Of course, the infectious causes - such as strep or mononucleosis should be ruled out.

If the obvious causes have been evaluated, you may want to consider an ENT referral.  A laryngoscopy can be considered for further evaluation for the persistant cough.  If GERD is present then treatment with a PPI can be considered - if post-nasal drip is suspected (i.e. diagnosed with a sinus CT), then it can be appropriately treated with nasal steroid sprays.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
Are you taking any kind of blood pressure medicine or diuretc? I had the same symptoms and finally discovered it was caused by the medications I was taking. I changed medication and the symptoms ceased.