Family Health Expert Forum
white granuals spreading in my mouth

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

white granuals spreading in my mouth

About two weeks ago I started noticing an odd sensation in my mouth...not burning, just weird.  I now have a "rash" of tiny white granuals that started on the inside of my upper, right (half) lip.  It has spread now to the underside of the upper and lower lip and is reaching into the cheek and under the tongue area.  These white bumps are TINY and the best way I can describe them is like salt granuals.  They do not hurt or burn.  I have been a smoker for 15 years....am trying to quit.   I do not think it is thrush...I've seen thrush.  Any ideas?
Possibilities can include thrush, herpes, varicella virus, coxackie virus, or HIV amongst others.

The next step for evaluation would be an oral swab to see if fungus or bacteria grows from these lesions.  There are some viral cultures that can be considered to see if a virus is causing your symptoms.  I would also test for HIV.

If these infectious are ruled out and the lesions continue, you may want to consider a referral to an oral surgeon for further evaluation and possible biopsy.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
I will be away and have limited internet access from December 26th to January 4th.  I wish everyone a safe and happy holiday season.

Take care,
Kevin, M.D.
Like jeniedawne, I have developed white granuals in my mouth, and the way she described them as little specks of salt really matches what I have.

Mine are only present on my upper palate. They started about two weeks ago and aren't spreading so far.

I had an HIV test a few months ago and it was negative. I have not had sex since the test results came back.

My mother had an episode of shingles recently and I am wondering if my exposure to her has anything to do with this white rash inside my mouth. I had shingles several years ago myself.

Is there a correlation here? What do you think is going on?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.