Fibromyalgia Community
Has anyone tried LYCRIA yet?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Has anyone tried LYCRIA yet?

My RA gave me a free weeks supply RX for Lycria but I have not brought it into the pharmacy yet.  I also got 2 RX to start me slowly if I like it. Trouble is that it is so new that my copay will be almost $40 per month. I am on disibillity right now and can't afford it.  Also it is good for diabetic nerve pain-I don't think that I have nerve pain.I have muscle, joint and low back pain.  So bad that 3 vicodin every 4 hours doesn't do anything for me. It does take the edge off for an hour or so.  I'll appreciate your comments.  This site has been sleeping for over a week. Is everyone having a fibro-flare?
I have tried lyrica before, twice actually. The first time I tried it it upset my stomach. I waited awhile and tried it again, doctors idea, and it did nothing for my pain, but I will tell you that I had trouble urinating, I mean I felt like I had to go but I had to push to go.(sorry for the description) Then about 3 weeks into it I started having terrible tremors. I thought I was coming down with parkinsons because my hands would shake so bad I couldnt even write. They took me off of lyrica and I don't have the shakes and tremors as bad as I used to, but I still have them. In my opinion I don't think its any good. But my opinion is just my opinion. I have heard that it helps alot of other people. But you have to keep in mind that people with fibro all have different med combinations to help them. None of us are the same. Its a strange, weird, and irritating syndrome! I absolutely hate having this damn fibro.

Just because it didnt work for me though doesn't mean it wont work for you. There are many other meds that work for others and they dont work for me. Good luck in your search though....
and HAPPY NEW YEAR!! I hope you have a decent painless year!
Thanks for your opinion, it goes with my gut feeling.  I already take a combo of drugs for every symptom that fibro gave me. I would rather feel like I do than take the chance of long term side effects from a NEW drug.  I'll watch it for a while to see what kind of "bugs" show up.  I never like trying anything too new.  I'd rather wait a few years, for more info, for the price to go down and for more opinions.  I do that with everything on the market like p.c's and cars etc. Happy Painless New Year to All
I tried lycra last winter and found that I was too whoozy and dizzy, so I stopped it. I'm going to an environmental allergist now and getting IV of Vitamin C plus B-12 and a few other things. They are not paid for by my insurance, but well worth it as I am finally off of pain meds (for the most part) and hardly need my vicodin. Life is good again.
I don't understand what vit c & b12 has to do with pain.  I do take b6 for tingling & numbness though. Also magnesium for muscle soreness.  So how much are the shots and how many do you have to get to feel better?
there's no magic pill for fibro.  since every persons body is different, medication also acts different in each individual.  lycria helped me function and allowed me to continue to workout.  I take methadone and norco also...it takes the edge off
but I still exprience pain.  I don't take pills on an empty stomache, and read up on the medications before I take them.  I have fibro and Have a degenerate disc
disease in the neck and lumber area with bone spurs. Pain really sucks and the Pain medication causes constipation.  I'm having my second back surgery soon and I'm really depressed about it.  There is no end to having pain.  I'm going back to having congitive therapy for pain.  The mind really has an effect on the body.  It worked before, I just try it again.

reallytired
I have been on Lyrica for over a year now .. and it has been a blessing for me.  It really takes the edge off and helps me function.  I also have diabetes and have to be careful with the doseage.. I've noticed that I can only take 2-3 a day and the 50mg. or my blood sugar will go up.  I still have to take tylox at night in order to get over the pain enough to sleep.  But, I would suggest trying it to those who haven't... Good luck!
Lyrica - I gained 20 lbs before I stopped taking it.  3 lbs per week.  good luck!
I have hyper-sensitive legs and post herpetic neuralgia pain from a case shingles. I have been recommended by 2 pain management doctors to have a spinal implant to block the pain. I have been taking Lyrica successfully for 4 months. I am able to sleep without Lidoderm patches, a rather drastic reduction in even over the counter pain meds. I am now sleeping well. I am a type 2 diabetic and have seen no significant change in my blood sugar due to the medication. I would recommend trying this.  With luck and God's blessing this will work for you.
what is your dosage of Lyrica?  Do you take medication or insulin for your diabetes?  I have done really well with Lyrica also... glad to hear it works for others also..
Hi I taken between 450mg and 600 mg of Lyrica - had fibro since 1998 and tried every drug.  Yes I have put on weight but the weight gain is far better than the terrible pain.  Small price to pay.  I am not completely out of pain but quality of life is ten times better than it was.
I take 75Mg of Lyrica 3 times a day.  I have not gained any weight and it's helped quite a bit with the pain.  I am also diabetic and take glucovance 3times a day and Januvia once a day.  It's keeping my insulin levels pretty steady.  I tried the higher doseage of lyrica and it raised my blood sugar.  But, this seems like a good combination for me.  I do take a tylox at night to get to sleep and when the pain is bad in the morning I have a hydrocodone I can take.  It helps with the pain but, also makes me feel edgy and nervous a few hours later. .. So, I try not to take it.  Good luck!
Hey, everyone.  I have chronic EBV, fibro and degenerative disc disease.  I am looking for help with the fatigue, I am used to the pain and it is generally only an issue if I want to sleep or do something constructive.  Good gravy, that sounds pathetic...  Anyway, I have accepted the pain, but I can't seem to do anything about the fatigue.  I get about one week a month of anything resembling energy and am concerned about depression kicking in.  It has been more than ten years and the fight is getting hard.  
Does this Lyrica help with fatigue?  I have tried vitamin B12 and magnesium, but it got too expensive, especially when I looked into adding coenzyme Q10.  How about concentration, since it just took me three minutes to remember the word "magnesium"???
Hello everyone,
I have been on lyrica for 1 and a half years it has helped. before I could not hold anything in my hands. This was very upsetting for me as I love to paint and draw. Then after I took lycria I can write and paint. My pains have become less I do not miss work as much as I use to. I am still tired but take b12 for that. The only down side I see for lycria is that I can not go off it if I do the pains come back Have not gained weight but that is just me. I would say talk to you doctor and go from there.

Good luck to you all
My doctor just increased my Lyrica to 400mg.  I also take 80mg Kadian, 30mg Percocet, 40mg Baclofen, 200mg Provigil and 6mg Lunesta at night.  I still have pain, although I am not in the bed screaming as I was in the beginning.  I still have the numbness, tingling, and burning in all extremities, and have no strength in my right hand.  I stay awake with the Provigil, but am still so unbelieveably tired, like someone has just zapped everything out of me.  I am only 38 and haven't been able to work in almost 3yrs, since I injured my back on the job, and then the onset of all the other symptoms.  I have two granddaughters that I can't even play with.  I've also gained almost 30lbs since all this began.   I have had 4 children and used to joke that if they didn't put on the weight then nothing would.  I guess this made a liar out of me.  I wish there were some magical group of pills that would make me feel like I used to.  There's always hope, right????
Hi all, my PA recently put me on lycria 150 mg twice a day. Since I started taking it a month ago I've been feeling really lightheaded, passed out twuce, constantly tired and my blood sugars are high(type 2 diabetes). Has anyone one else have any of these feelings??? Do you think it's the med or something else???
What are your blood sugars running?  I'm on 75mg twice a day, and haven't had those symptoms. I have gained 5lbs tho. Lyrica seems to act differently in different people, especially if they have other medical issues. Has it helped your pain? Good luck on it, took me about a month to adjust to it. I am also type2 diabetic, and I've been all over the map lately on tests. Didn't think it might be the Lyrica, will have to monitor and see.
I'm taking the Lyrica due to a work related injury (severly spained ankle and broken toe, ended up with post traumatic arthritis in ankle and foot). My blood sugars are running 200 or higher. Before taking the med, I had lost 10 lbs., when weighed @ nvsit Wedenesday, I gained 5 ibs, too. I think Lyrica maybe be a steriod, not sure, will do some checking, but if it is, steriods cause weight gain. Anyways, you're right, different meds affect everyone differently. I've been on it for roughly a month, and at times I feel really crappy. According to what I have read so far, if you have diabetes and it's not well controlled. it can cause them to go higher, mine were somewhat controlled, and they have really changed since starting the med. From my experiences, sometimes your meds don't interact with others. Usually your dr. or pharmacist will tell you if someting doesn't interact with your meds. The only thing my PA said was "get your blood sugars under control and talk to your primary about adding a new depression med." Wow. so nice he said that.....maybe a little help here.......
Hi. this is my first posting here, I'm usually in the MS forum.  My rheumatologist put me on lyrica almost a year ago because anti-inflammatories were having no effect.  I take 75mg four times a day.  
IO've gained some weight but also a lot of relief.  I also have sero-negative inflammatory arthritis and DDD.  
As I had mentioned above.. I also had elevated blood sugar levels with Lyrica.  I had to take a lower dosage and eventually my PA added Januvia to balance the swing of levels.  Januvia works with your other diabetes meds by lowering your levels but it won't work if your levels are too low.  It has been working great to balance my blood sugar levels and allowed me to stay on my lyrica.  Lyrica has really helped me quite a bit.  I still hurt quite a bit.. but I have more of a life now.  Good Luck!
I have just started with Lyrica on Monday and I can tell a difference  already. I am almost afraid to believe it. I have felt like I had the flu for almost two months now and last night I was able to wash my car and clean it out. Not much of a job, but one I have no energy to do after a day at work. I am hopeful.I am taking it just for the fibromyalgia and have had no ill effects yet except being a little sleepy the first two days. I usually move around and can't get settled with my legs at night and this has helped!
I have rhuematoid arthritis, neuopathy, diabeties, and fibromyalgia. I was in miserable, terrible pain. My r.a. dr. was giving me flexeril but then started me on lycria gradually topping my dose off at 400 mg. of lyrcia a day. I have had no increase in my blood sugar,(with good eating habits) no weight gain, and I have my life back to a degree. I don't get the sleepiness that others say they experience. I guess I am one of the few that am  live life without the  pain of neuropathy.. Now I am not talking about the rhuematoid arthritis, (I am on remicade for r.a. along with mtx) although it does help, (lycria)   I hope this continues. I have been on lycria  for a little over a year.  I take lycria and flexeril at nite and I sleep like a baby --- don't wake up  constantly in pain like I use to. . I hope it continues. I don't want to go back to the way I was.
I too have recently been put on Lyrica 50mg three times a day and the first week it seemed to help ,going into my second month now and pain is back.Think I need an increase to 150mg and take ambien cr  to sleep at night.I recently started taking black seed  and bittermelon and the energy is amazing plus black seed  aids in regulating blood sugar levels.I just need the pain to stop in my legs.RA,Lupus and HepC plus high blood pressure and heart murmur,reflux and hernia's but biggest problem is over weight and I'm working on that now,trying so hard to lose but hard without exercise which I can't do because of stiffness and pain.
I just started Lyrica, I'm on day 5 and am hurting like a big dog. Yesterday was much better. I am starting slowly because when I did Neuronton, I did 3 a day pretty quickly and went nutz, literally.  I am thinking about starting week 2 with 100mg a day sooner. I can't stand the pain anymore. I noticed you have Hep C. The forum here on Medhelp for Hep C is great. Lot's of folks there for years and very busy.  Check it out.
I am supposed to work up to 3 50mg a day too.  I sure hope it works. So far nothing.  Did you gain the weight from the Lyrica?  My appetite is so bad, I can't imagine gaining weight when I can hardly eat. Now that I am down to a good size, I sure hope I don't go back up.  
My dr. just prescribed for Lyrica for me yesterday and I will p/u at pharm. today.  I am 58 yo female w/25 yr. hx of fibro dx.  I am also hypothyroidic, but do experience symptoms of someone w/hyper thyroid disease.  I was worked up for lupus several years ago and spent a good deal of time on their message boards until it was decided that my markers were not significant enough to carry that dx.  It is felt I have some auto immune issues, but not labled altho' I do have mild Sjogren's and Reynaud's.  I have been through most conservative regimes: antidepressants w/ no effect, talk therapy, I'm pretty grounded, mild pain meds and OTC's with no change in pain levels and sleep inducing meds... (where do you all get your pain meds?  I gues my docs have been very conservative.)  I am on HRT almost 10 yrs. post total hysterectomy ; I have MVP and deal with palpitatations on a regular basis, I have osteo arthritis.  I HAVE JUST in the past 6 months DEVELOPED A TINGLING/BUZZING BODY WIDE SENSATION (no pain, just annoying & distracting as all get out) that the doc is calling a peripheral neuorapthy. I read on the one hand that Lyrica is a great drug and on the other many of you have had side effects and larger issues w/it.  I am almost afraid to start a new medicine now that I am down to those meds I need to take to manage thyroid, ulcer (from OTC's and pain meds I was on), cholesterol and sleep (dependent on Ambien CR) altho feeling like I do is getting very old.  I have had periods of anxiety and depression, but function well and want to continue to do so.  For me much is mind over matter, but the mind is getting weary.  I can't bear the thought of more lethargy or confusion from the drug...any comments would be most appreciated.
Today I am on day 7 of Lyrica, only one a day. That 7 pack can last you 21 days the way I am doing it.  So far no sedation effects. I will start with 2 a day today and am not sure when I should take them. Anyone?  If this gets rid of the pain, I guess I will have to deal with the sedation effects if they come. I can't live with this pain!
I started taking Lyrica last Thursday - 12/13 - I was also given Tramadol, both meds were 50mg. three times a day.  NO WAY IN THE WORLD can I take this much and attempt to work all day.  I started taking them just at night and I was fine, so I decided to take them in the morning along with my other meds and I was a mess.  I had loads of energy if I stayed moving.  I would drop if I stopped for awhile.  I laid down about 4:00PM and saw pink scrolling marquises with Umpa-Lumpas (from Willy Wonka) jumping around, I never went to sleep but it was kind of a trance.  I knew when someone came into the room but never moved.  I got up fixed supper, laid back down and slept for three hours and forty five minutes.  I got up, took my night meds along with the Lyrica and Tramadol and slept till 9:00AM the next morning.  I took just the Lyrica this morning with my other meds and I have the worst headache in the world.  I don't remember the headache being a side affect from the Lyrica.  I usually feel pretty good with just taking the meds at night, but forget the daytime, if I want to work or function.  Is there anyone else with this symptom?  I don't think I have been on them long enought to know the real side affects yet, but I do know that my legs, back and arms are really hurting, along with the headache.
Hi, I was prescribed lyrica in August, starting dose was 150 mg once a day.  After week one my dose was supposed to increase to 150 mg twice daily.  Needless to say, I could not handle the way I felt...I felt overmedicated, high (don't know exactly how that feels but if it was worse than what I was feeling --- it is not meant for me).  I found myself unable to actually get up out of bed in the morning without stumbling or falling, and I must say this lasted for hours after I woke up.  It felt like the room was spinning.  My rheumy took me off of it and prescribed Lamictal 200 mg. daily.
Hi, I am sorry to hear all that you are going through.  I too have been going through major medical issues, fatigue being a serious part.  I have possible Multiple Sclerosis, myoclonus, hypermobility syndrome, neuropathy, fibromyalgia, spinal stenosis, early mild disc degenerative disease, early disc dessication (desiccation), kyphosis, scoliosis, anemia, osteopenia, and a b-12/iron deficiency.  So, I know that fatigue is a major problem, if you get any good suggestions forward them to me please.
ON lyrica for a little over couple weeks now.  Is wonderful.  I'm on 50 mg twice a day but doctor wants to up it gradually so i'm on 100 mg twice a day.  My copay is $50 a month, but will it be $100 a month if the dosage is doubled?  If you are on a higher dosage, do you get pills that are the higher dosage for the same copay?  Medicine is so expensive!  Also not wanting to be on higher dosage because it is giving me insomnia.  Does that go away?  I can't afford to take a prescription sleepign pill on top of lyrica, nor do i want to pop sleeping pills on top of meds.  But, not having pain, it is wonderful.  First time in over 15 years.  :)
I am going really slowly with this stuff to see how it works. the first week 50mg a day, second week 100 mg a day, third (if I can handle it) 150mg a day.  I did way to much Neurontin and almost jumped outta my skin.  Hope by going slowly to see when or if the sx (sides) hit me, I can perhaps not do as much and still minimize the pain.  I want this pain gone like no tomorrow.  So far I am starting two today and felt very loopy today, but it sort of got better and will take pill #2 at bedtime.  Sure hope it helps.  Headaches I have heard can be a sx,  I have had severe migraines my whole life so I pray I don't get them.  Thanks for everyones posts...

Hugs for us all!
Linda
I am on Lycria too along with 6 differnt meds as well for fibro. It is very frustrating. Some people have suggested getting massage therapy. Again most insurance companies will not cover this but I hurt when someone touches me so obvious that options is out for me.  Water arobics were also suggested. I did try that but I did not get much out of it.  I am hoping the new year will bring much needed relief from the pain.  Good luck and have a happy new year.
I just started Lyrica. I'm on week 2, 50mg twice a day. Increase to 3x a day next week. No significant improvment yet, but been very busy with holidays. I haven't been sleepy in am yet from it.  Co-pay shouldn't go up,at least mine hasn't on other meds, with the dosage is increased.  Water therapy does help me with my fibro, stenosis, and degenerative disc disease, as it makes it easier to move in the water..but I need the water to be warm. A jetted hot tub was perscribed by my dr., which helped greatly, until I had to sell the house it was in.  Fibro makes it so hard to exercise. Even when I hurt I have a massage whenever I can afford it, as it helps to realease the tension in the muscles. If they start easy, then increase the massage, it's easier to stand the pain. I find it wourth the effort and pain. Gentle hugs to all.
I am on week  3 of Lyrica.  the pain is much much better. My brain feels like that drug commerical, ya know the eggs in the pan?  But anything is better than that pain.  Hoping for the sides to subside eventually.  I too like massages and get them as often as I can. Wish my fatigue would go away. I spend days in bed and hate this. Planning on going to grad school Jan 16. Wish me luck.  If I set my mind to it, I can do it, but how is this fried brain going to work???
I've never taken it but I do know it causes significant weight gain.  The doctor even told me that.  It's really not that new.  It's been out for at least a couple years I think.  I know a doctor tried to give it me me a couple years ago.  It was just approved for fibro treatment that is why you hear about it so much now.
Wanted to warn you that most ins. co's won't pay for this stuff. My Dr. got me a waiver from the ins. co.  That 7 day trial got me through several weeks as I did it really slow. When I tried Neurontin, I went one day, two day three a day.
I have had no problem with insurance paying for this med. I'm on 3 -75 a day which I take 1 late afternoon and 2 at bedtime which I found works for me. I've lived with back and leg pain for years and was taking Hydrocodone for years. Only side effect is weight gain which I hate but hate the pain worse. I'm over 65 and weight at my age is very hard to lose but try to use the treadmill as often as my feet let me. My co-pay is $40 for 3 months supply if I use mail order and did not go up when doc upped the dose to 3 a day. Must say pain relief is well worth the $$$. Also the buzzy brain will go away with time. Good Luck.
I have fibro and other health problems.  I was given a prescription for 3 per day of 50 mg.  I took 1 pill at night before going to bed.  I start meds slow due to having problems with so many of then.  I noticed the next morning I had slept well did not wake up constantly like I normally do.  It also stop the need to move around, especially my legs.  I took 1 pill at night for a week.  I felt better, slept better, had less pain and joints moved more freely.  I am trying to lose weight and I felt it was causing weight gain, so I stopped.

After a couple weeks I tried 1 pill at night again.  On the third evening I was constantly hungry, I could have ate everything in the house.  That night I woke up with bad pain, it had inflamed my Interstitial Cystitis.  So I stopped it again.  

I am debating whether to try it again.  Even if it does not inflame the Interstitial Cystitis  I can not take it if causes me to be constantly hungry and over eat, and therefore gain weight.  I would like to be able to take it.

There are so many meds with weight gain as a side effect, cant they make just one that has weight loss as a side effect?    :-(
Hi Everyone,
  I started Lyrcria in February and boosted the dosage up to 450mg per day as of the 18th April. These tablets have given me a new lease of life, no pain and I'm sleeping through the night without any pain or restless legs, I use to wake up every 2 hours and never really went into a deep sleep (REM), the slightest noise would have me instantly awake! My days were a nightmare, I had pain that shifted all over my body and all I wanted to do was sleep, much to my husband's disgust he just didn't understand anything about Fibro. The downside is I have put on weight, about 15 pounds and I'm hungry all the time, this is not me, I was a very light eater and never finished my meals, now I eat everything on my plate and still feel as if I want more!!!!  
Also my right leg looks twice it's size by the end of the day, It goes down again once I go to bed and am laying flat so I think it's fluid, the tiredness disappeared after a few weeks but I still feel sort of disorientated at times. But I don't want to give up the Lycria and go back to all the misery of fibro again!
Hope this helps and I welcome any comments
First time posting here:  I took Lyrica/ Nerontin for only 4 days two years ago: It made me sleepwalk every night.  The last night I ended up right by front door- on the floor.  Scray.  But I have heard from other people that this med is a blessing.  Everyone is different!
I tried it for a couple of months, it barely helped for me. coming off of it was the worst though, I decided to take half dosage for 3 days then just quit.  I don't know how I survived it
I am on day 3 of my lycria and take it for Myofascial cronic (chronic) pain....The omg I can't function pain seems to be shrinking but my head feels like its going to explode, I can't think and I can't be awake for more than 20 minutes after taking it..is this just my body adjusting? I'm supposed to up the dosage in a week but this headache is so very bad i'm worried. Has anyone else felt similar? im taking 50mg and have never been on any medication before...ive lived in pain for 5 years and am scared to that this wont work
Lyrica does have some side-effects, but headaches are not one that has been seen.  There will be some drowsiness and cognition issues, but that should clear up a bit after your body has adjusted.  50 mg is a very low dose.  

I take 75mg 2x a day and the only thing i've noticed is some cognitive difficulty.  Otherwise it does help with my pain.  Maybe Neurontin would work for you and not have this effect.  If you are only on the 3rd day, try weaning yourself off and see if the headache lifts.  If so, then you will need to talk to your doctor about an alternative for your pain.

Best wishes to you.
I have FM/CFS.  If you have been diag with a problem that causes you pain, and if you have a good dr. that understands you and what you are going through, they will know that you are not a pill seeker.  Thank God my drs. know me and I do not take them unless I need them.  If you are worried about the pills you are not a pill seeker, that is waht one of my drs. told me a long time ago.

God bless you
hello all, i am a late comer to this group , my meds include lyrica at 3x200mg a day plus all the other goodies, i have been on them for four years now and have tried every pain killer going!! i am so sorry that your meds cost so much it is not right ,, also stay out of the cold ,good luck with your pains any questions i am here iff i can help xx
My grandmother has Cushings and I have fibro..

Her doctor gave her Lyrica.. it made her dizzy crazy and she thought she was going to have an adrenal attack. It was most likely her sensitivity to medications plus all the stuff shes on. If any of you know what Cushing's is .. you know how hard it is to deal with.

She thinks I have it too, but I'll stick with Fibro.

I was in a lot of pain one night and she gave me some...
Honestly it didn't do anything for me.. the pain remained. .and I've tried Amitriptyline
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amitriptyline
It worked the best for me =) But I've also only used it 3 times in my life. everytime its worked.. but as everyone knows medication is spendy so I stick with icy hot =/

But meh, everyone has different chemistry. either way good luck. =)!

<3 Katz
Thanks for your comments,

I increased the dosage to 100mg last night and felt as bad as I did the first day I took the 50mg.  I still have lots of pain and it has returned to the levels it was before any meds. I have 2 more weeks to incease to 200mg a day to see if that helps my pain. I hope it works and that it is worth the adjusting. I am calling the doctor to ask about the headaches. Thanks again I will keep checking in to here how everyone is doing with there treatments
I just thought I would add this info. for those of you who continue to use Lyrica or are just starting on a new trial.  Sometimes the drug companies do run coupons or specials on their medications.  If you google "Lyrica coupons" you may find something beneficial to help with the costs.  This is not just with Lyrica, it's with any type of medication.  

Also, I discovered this site today while browsing around:  

http://www.freedrugcard.us/

The drug card is free and can be used in addition to your prescription coverage, or if you have no coverage at all.  It is a non-profit agency who does this to help those with no insurance, or those who may be underinsured, to be able to get the medications that they need.

Hope this helps.
Hi there.  I am new here as well and I'm super happy that I found it.   Just a quick note for I and other Fibromyalgia sufferers.  Go to www.lyrica.com and Cymbalta. Com,  and also www.partnersforprescriptions.com.   These sites have coupons for lyrica and cymbalta