GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Heartburn & Burping

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Heartburn & Burping

Hi All

I wonder if someone could advise me and ease my worries.

for the past 6 months ive been suffering with heartburn & burping everyday.  I wake up in the morning and have some breakfast / cerial, within an hour of eating breakfast i begin to burp and with every burp I get heartburn and a funny acid taste in mouth.  It doesnt seem to get better if i drink water, but it does get better when i have a heartburn chew.  After the heartburn chew wears of it comes back again weather i eat or not, so am contanstly taking heartburn chew/tablets.

It is rarely starting to get to me now, the constanted burping and then the horrible heartburn in my chest.  I have also started to get strange feeling in my chest and i dunno weather it is related to this.

Any advise would be greatfully accepted.

Mike
Hi there,

Yip, it does sound like GERD symptoms to me.

Have you tried taking Gaviscon at night and maybe before breakfast again?  Try that and if your burping and acidic taste/chest pains disappear, then you have your answer and then you can try OTC Zantac and at some stage go and see a GI Doc for Endoscopy and find out what is the reason for your heartburn:  i.e. hypotensive LES valve, Hiatal hernia.

If you have weight to lose, or have to stop smoking or elevate your head at night and know that you have acid triggers - then make those changes in your lifestyle and see if that improves your symptoms.

Please let us know how you are going.