Gastroenterology Community
Abdominal gas and weakness/Fibroids

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Abdominal gas and weakness/Fibroids

Hello, I am new to this and would like to know if there are any women out there who have fibroids and have experienced excess stomach gas symptom caused by the Fibroid. My gas symptom is so bad, it spreads to the chest and causes HORRIBLE chest pressure.

I'm 38 and have had a fibroid for over 15 years. Since it never really bothered me except for the heavy periods with large clots, I sort of dismissed it as "normal" and will go away when I reach menopause. Unfortunately, the past year has been hell for me. I developed stomach gas problems that are so bad I sometimes mistake it for a possible heart attack (I have a cardiologist who has done all sorts of EKG, Stress test and Echo on me and ruled out heart disease). The gas symptom is a 24 hour event and is making my life so miserable. I can't tolerate the gas in my chest. I've seen a GI Dr. who did an endoscope and ruled out ulcer or any kind of stomach disorder. I even have tried all sorts of medications for reflux/gas like Nexium, Prilosec, Maalox, Gas-X, Zantac, etc. but NONE of them helped. I eat very healthy and avoid foods that are acidic and cause gas. To make matters worse, I started feeling very weak and couldn't pinpoint my weakness to anything specific until I took a blood test and realized my Hemoglobin level was about 8 indicating Anemia. I have been on Iron supplements and even went for an iron infusion once. The weakness disappeared. My Hemoglobin level went to a 11.3. Recently, I went into an ER for heart palpitations and saw that my hemoglobin level is now a 10.9. Is this level low enough to cause weakness related to Anemia? I am at my wits end with all these stomach gas issues. I saw another Gastrointestinal specialist last week, he did a stomach exam on me and said he said my Fibroid is huge (uterus dilated to 24 weeks pregnancy size) and it's possible my Fibroid is causing my stomach gas issues. I was shocked. Is it possible for a fibroid to cause THIS MUCH problems especially the excess gas in my upper stomach that radiates to my chest?? Someone help!!!
Tags: Chest, Gas