Gastroenterology Community
Adhesions leading to removal of bowl... followup problems

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I had my appendix removed after a year or so of niggles and pain in my lower abdomen; and although it looked ok at first glance apparently they found it wasn't totally healthy. They also found some cysts on my ovaries.

A year or so later I had adhesions which led to closing off my small intestine; and resulting in 1m 15cms of it being removed. I had the operation when I was in france and so the notes didn't transfer too well and as I was still young im not sure which part has been removed. This was around 5 or 6 years ago.

Ever since I have had trouble with my bowls; either constipation often followed by chronic diarrhea, or one of each but it is rarely comfortable/normal. I was told I may not be able to absorb vitamin B12, and also I notice things are worse when I eat things high in fat. During menstruation I also get bad diarrhea and very bed period pain but the pill seems to make this worse/have no effect.

Im fed up of never knowing what state my bowls are going to be in and having to run off to the loo at short notice and was wondering if anyone knows of anything I can do? I also seem to need alot of sleep and get depressed.

hope someone can help! thankyou

I am having the exact same symptoms, along with crampy pain near my incision.  I had cecal volvulus and had my ascending colon removed.  They attached my small intestines to my transverse colon.  This was two years ago, and as expected, my bowels have not been normal.  He said this would last for a few months until my body adjusted to the change.  It never stopped.  Now the constipation is ridiculous and I am being told to take laxatives every day until I can get in to see my gastroenterologist.  He can't see me for several weeks.  At the end of each day, I find myself throwing off my pants  and throwing on sweatpants or pajamas, just so I don't have to feel uncomfortable anymore.  I never felt the need to do that until a few weeks ago.  I don't know what to do either.  I wish I had an answer, but I don't think living on laxatives is the answer I want to hear.