Gastroenterology Community
Alcohol Post Surgery

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Alcohol Post Surgery

Hi there,

I finally had my gallbladder removed 2 months ago. Pathology showed chronic inflammation from the stone. I was also diagnosed and took the appropriate meds for H-Pylori. I have recovered well and I feel pretty good. I am careful with my diet, and I seem to be able to indulge here and there with not much trouble.

The problem I am having is drinking alcohol. I am not interested in getting drunk every weekend, but I would like to enjoy a glass of wine with dinner, or a few drinks with friends on occasion. Every time I consume alcohol, even just one or two drinks, I spend hours of the night with extreme nausea and diarreah (diarrhea). I am hoping that with time this will pass or that you have some other advice? Is there anything I can do to minimize the reaction I am having? I realize the easy sollution is just not to drink anything, but I would like to have the option.

Thanks!

This discussion is related to Gallstone??.
Hi there!

Alcohol associated diarrhea is unlikely to be associated with GB removal unless alcohol intake is associated with a diet that is high in fat content, though this could be a side effect of a few medications used for GI infections. The best way to get rid of the sensitivity is to avoid alcohol or limited use in dilutes quantities, if it does not resolve with time.

Take care!