Gastroenterology Community
Bad Breath and Gallbladder Disease

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Bad Breath and Gallbladder Disease

Stats: Male, 28, 6'1, 256 lbs (~25% body fat). Was 320 lbs about 3 years ago.

Short story: I currently in the process of finding out what's wrong with me. Started as stomach pains, back pains, nausea and frequent acid indigestion. Turns out it was gastritis/esophagitis caused by GERD. Been treating that for a month and I feel pretty good except for some bloating after meals (which I feel mostly in the back) and bad breath. Doctor suspects a lazy gallbladder (which, given the prevalence of gallbladder disease in my family, would not surprise me in the least bit.) Note that I've also been checked for gallstones, and I'm officially clean: no stones.

What I'd like to know is what about the gallbladder causes bad breath 2 - 3 hours after eating? Is it because the food's not digesting due to the lack of bile? Is it because the bile smells that way?

FYI: My diet consists of mostly raw foods (about 60%), mostly vegetarian (I still eat fish, eggs), very little dairy. Of course, it wasn't always this way, and my condition was revealed during a time when I abandoned my good eating habits and instead started being lazy: pizza, fried foods, and lots of fatty coffee drinks.