Gastroenterology Community
Bad Stomach Pain

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Bad Stomach Pain

Dear Med Community, For the last 2 days I have been suffering from a terrible pain in my stomach (below the belly button and an inch or two up and down). Its a dull pain generally, but when i push in slightly with my finger, suck in my stomach or crunch the stomach in any way the pain is sharper and quite intense. I've had 2-3 years of back pain that has developed in to stomach pain in the last year or so, I've been diagnosed with Barrett's, Fybromialga, IBS, GERD. I've had a brief hospital stay (5 days) 2 years ago for what they thought was diverticulitis (sent home with Oral antibiotics). I've had various cat scans (2), MRI's (3), and X-rays of the general area. The cat scans show a slightly enlarged spleen, but no one appears overly concerned by this. MRI's show a few mild disc bulges, but nothing worth mentioning, the MRI of my right Hip did show Edema's, Hematoma's, a fluid collection and muscle tearing of the maximus, and a recent Cat scan also showed that "DDD persists" (which i think translates to, "I have Generative Disc Disease"?)  I've also been seeing a pain management place for 2 years, had 3 Steriod injections & an attempt at nerve block, but nothing helped the pain in my back, which is mostly in the lower center and right side and which resonates throughout my entire back (up my spine, in to my neck and out in to my shoulder blades) and sides, 'm also getting really bad muscle spasm's in my back mid way and more to the right hand side. These get really bad a night when i lay down and relax my back muslces. I also suffer from terrible tenderness of the rib cage and other area's of the body when pressed, although these symptoms have calmed down over the last few months. I still wake to horrible stiffness in just my back, it used to be throughout my arms and hands (very bad in my hands) and legs (i'd wake up with a numb leg).  I'm tired all the time and feel weaker than I have ever felt. I should note that the pain management place has me on Methadone (60mg per day), I've taken Oxycontin for a while and just about every other form of Oxy something over the last 2 years, the OxyContin was more effective, but I was told the methadone was more stable? so we are going with that, i'd rather not take any, but i can't function without it. I've taken all kinds of anti-inflamatories and muscle relaxers. For the last few day's I've also been struggling with extremely bad back pain, sharp and intense levels that last a few seconds in the bottom of my back (favoring the right hand side i would say). I'm sure i have several problems which makes it very difficult to diagnose, but lets start with this new stomach pain, i've read tonight about "flank pain" and the warnings that the patient could be a analgesic abuser, this is consistant with meds i've been taking, but the more i read the more i'm pointed towards ureter problems and renal disease, and to really offer the community a challenge, i've recently lost my job and health insurance, so I have one $100 bucks to spend on a specialist (until i get insurance back) I'm interested in hearing what you guys think is 1) generally wrong, and where i should be targeting long term and 2) what should be cause for alarm short term and who should i go see.v
Thank you