Gastroenterology Community
Blood in Stool after tonsillectomy, no other symptoms

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hi, I am a 30 yr old woman, a smoker, with polycycstic kidneys (but no impairment) and high Blood pressure, but otherwise good health.  Just over a week ago I had a tonsillectomy.  The day after I had a bowel movement and it was full of bright red as well as darker stool.  Two days later I had another BM that was very dark, watery and full of dark dark blood.  After that, every day for a week, I would sit on the toilet and not really poop, but feel like i had to and out would come this dark tarry bm, that looked black in some spots, and maroonish in others.  It is now just over a week, and the color of my BMs are slowing returning to normal, they still are very very foul smelling though.  I have no abdominal pain or any other  symtoms (symptoms). any idea what could have caused it, and should i just forget about it since it seems to be on the way out. thanks

Rectal bleeding should always be investigated because it is not normal.  The logical interpretation is that post-tonsillectomy bleeding caused the modification to your motions (the medical name for these blood-containing/modified motions is "melena").  However, the connection between the two may not be valid and I would suggest that the cause of your rectal bleeding (melena) is investigated independently from the tonsillectomy just in case a concurrent cause has developed from the stomach/small bowel area etc.

regards
Morecambe