Aa
A
A
Close
Blood in Stool after tonsillectomy, no other symptoms
Hi, I am a 30 yr old woman, a smoker, with polycycstic kidneys (but no impairment) and high Blood pressure, but otherwise good health.  Just over a week ago I had a tonsillectomy.  The day after I had a bowel movement and it was full of bright red as well as darker stool.  Two days later I had another BM that was very dark, watery and full of dark dark blood.  After that, every day for a week, I would sit on the toilet and not really poop, but feel like i had to and out would come this dark tarry bm, that looked black in some spots, and maroonish in others.  It is now just over a week, and the color of my BMs are slowing returning to normal, they still are very very foul smelling though.  I have no abdominal pain or any other  symtoms. any idea what could have caused it, and should i just forget about it since it seems to be on the way out. thanks
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1

Rectal bleeding should always be investigated because it is not normal.  The logical interpretation is that post-tonsillectomy bleeding caused the modification to your motions (the medical name for these blood-containing/modified motions is "melena").  However, the connection between the two may not be valid and I would suggest that the cause of your rectal bleeding (melena) is investigated independently from the tonsillectomy just in case a concurrent cause has developed from the stomach/small bowel area etc.

regards
Morecambe
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
Top Digestive Answerers
Blank
fntn