Gastroenterology Community
CT Scan Concern/Abdominal Pain-Bloating

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

CT Scan Concern/Abdominal Pain-Bloating

I have had bloating and abdominal pain, tenderness for 5 months. Have had an endoscopy and colonoscopy (all normal). Blood work is normal. Have h-pylori, and now have been through the course of antibiotics. Had a contrast cat scan 2 months ago, and the report that concerns me is below. I am still having soreness and bloating after meals. I had a follow-up cat scan 2 days ago and nothing has changes. Is the stranding noted below anything to be concerned about? Has anyone ever seen this before without some other very serious disorder?

The pancreas appears normal. The spleen also appears normal. There is stranding of the fat in the fat of the retroperitoneal anterior to Gerota’s fascia and posterior to the descending colon with thickening to the lateral conal fascia. The appendix appears normal. The appendix is retrocecal. There is no bowel thickening or diverticulosis of the ascending colon or hepatic ficxure to suggest diverticulitis. There is also mild stranding seen in the central peritoneal fat below the stomach and in the gastronic ligament. These findings could be due to panniculitis and are nonspecific. No evidence of aneurysm or significant amount of ascities. No bowel distention or bowel wall thickening appreciated. No evidence of free air or retropernoeal gas seen.

Nonspecific stranding in the mesenteric fat adjacent to the transverse colon and below the stomach as well as in the central mesentery of the lower midabdomen. There is also a small amount of fluid seen in the peritoneum with stranding and thickening of the lateral conal fascia and the anterior aspect of Gerota’s fascia. These findings are nonspecific and could indicate peritoneal inflammatory disease. Differential possibilities include panniculitis. There is no abscess, definitive bowel wall thickening or free air in the retroperitoneum or mesentery. No bowel dilation