Complication after Nissen Fundoplication
I had Laparoscopic Nissen Dec 08. and had normal gastric empyting study prior. I have had weight loss of 20+ # since with stomach pain most all the time, even radiating thru to my back, especially after eating. Also I am unable to eat any volume. Recent gastric empyting study test showed marked delay. The GI doc states by Vagus nerve must have been damaged during surgery. Is this a common complication of this surgery? Would this cause the stomach pains that I am having? I complained of these symptoms to the surgeon but he couldn't seem to understand why I was having the pain. The GI Doc did the test. I am considering EGD with Botox to pylorus to see if that helps. My other consideration per the GI Doc was pyloraplasty but I am a little surgeon shy right now. What is your opinion??
Delayed gastric emptying can be a side-effect of fundoplication surgery. If food backs up and just sits as it does in gastroparesis, many find their stomach is very uncomfortable and it can cause quite a bit of pain.