Gastroenterology Community
Difficulty swallowing

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Difficulty swallowing

I had an episode about 4-5 weeks ago where I swallowed wrong (just saliva, not food or water), and it felt like I swallowed down the wrong pipe.  My eyes watered, and I coughed for 10-20 seconds to clear it up, and my throat felt hoarse for a few minutes, but generally was fine within an hour.  But since then I have noticed that every few days, I'll go to swallow something and feel like I'm going to have the same thing happen again.  I've also noticed some hoarseness off and on, especially after this happens.  I seem to be able to eat and drink normally, although when I start to focus on it, I feel like I'm not swallowing normally.  But when I forget about it, I'll be fine for hours or days until I have another slight episode.  I do have some minor GERD problems, but nothing that is being treated.  I've read this could be GERD related, and now that I'm more aware of it, it seems to be bothering me more.  Eating and drinking actually makes it feel better, but I'm more aware of it when I just swallow saliva normally.  I do drink alcohol in moderation, but it doesn't seem to affect this in any way.  Should I have it checked, and if so, what type of doctor would I go to?  Thanks.