Gastroenterology Community
Drainage after colostomy flap

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Drainage after colostomy flap

My very dear friend is going through a living hell right now.  He had colon cancer a few years ago and because of the amount of radiation done, the outter walls of his colon and his bladder were weakened considerably. While having a catheter put in, it broke through the bladder wall and into the colon. Now he was getting urine coming out through his colon and fetes coming out through his catheter. It was decided that he would need to have a colostomy done for sure and hopefully have the wall of his bladder repaired, however when they went in, they found that the bladder wall was so damaged it had to be removed. His had his bladder, colon both removed and was hooked up to a urine bag and a colostomy bag.  The surgical incision ended up being about four inches wide and 7 or 8 inches long.  They could not staple or sew up the opening so it was left to heal from the inside out.  The space between the urine bag and the surgical opening did not allow enough room for getting a tight seal and therefore it continually leaks.  He also had a flap surgically put over the anus. Problem with this is a hole appeared on one edge of the flap and continually drains and causes pain. He is not able to move around or do anything without the draining or the pain. He has to clean and change the padding over it 5 or 6 times a day. No one seems to know what to do about this situation.  It has now gone on over three or four months.  Is this ever going to heal? Is he going to have to live with this drainage the rest of his life? Can anything be done.  He does not have insurance, so he is at the mercy of a learning hospital.  Any suggestions?  Help!

This discussion is related to COLOSTOMY SURGERY.
I recently joined this site and have a permanent ileostomy due to colon cancer. My entire colon,rectum and anus was removed. I'm currently designing a website for ostomy patients because of the lack of good content and potential treatments available are difficult to find.

Once your quality of life is comprised, it is challenging to be positive but there are others who share the same issues and i can recommend websites that will give him some options. MeetAnOstoMate.org is a great community of ostomy patients who are so willing to offer advice. I believe this is the best site for him. I will also be happy to connect with your friend.
Debra