Gastroenterology Community
Esophagus

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Esophagus

For the past few months I have been having chest pain. Each doctor I went to told me it was bronchitis, then it was anxiety. After several trips to the ER, I have found out that it is my esophagus. Last night was another long night in the ER waiting for a maalox cocktail. They put me on aciflex and suppositories for all the nausea. I have to wait until the 30th to get into see the gastro doctor. I have never felt this kind of pain before. How does this happen, and what is causing it. I am on a very small diet now just eating very bland food a few bites thruout the day, and it hurts to even drink water. Does anyone know of any other foods I can eat? If anyone else out there is or has gone thru this please let me know what else I am in for. The nurse in the ER told me that my esophagus is probably rotting away. I am so afraid that I have cancer or they are going to have to cut my esophagus. Help?
No one can know the state of your esophagus until and upper endoscopy is done, so whatever the ER nurse said should be taken with a lot of skepticism. You may want to consider following a strict GERD diet. You can find one at the gicare.com website. A lot of people find they 'suddenly' have GERD and may also experience esophageal spasms which can be very painful and it does seem at times that it just starts one day. But it has actually been going on for a long time. Unfortuantely, you may evidently have a very high pain threshold and have not felt the 'warning' signs.

Stay on the meds, follow a GERD diet and make some lifestyle changes. The discomfort probably isn't going to change overnight, but it will change with time and with effort on your part.