Gastroenterology Community
Frequent bowel movements yet I gain weight
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Frequent bowel movements yet I gain weight

Hi.  I am a 44 year old female, who, since a bout of Giardia in 1992, has experienced 6-8 bowel movements per day.  Lately these are becoming more urgent  (I have not had any accidents but I have to answer the call immediately).   These vary between being very loose to soft, and I have noticed that food can go right through me in 4 hours.  I suspect I am lactose intolerant, and also intolerant to flour and yeast, because I get abdominal cramps and bloating almost immediately after ingesting these, With flour I also experience fluid retention in my calves and fingers.
My symptoms are not worrying to me as I'm able to avoid problem foods most of the time.  However, I'm becoming increasingly frustrated by not being able to lose weight... my weight is creeping up slowly (currently 195lb @ 5ft5).  I can't understand how this can be the case.  Surely I'm not absorbing all of the nutrients from the food I eat, and so shouldn't I be losing weight instead?
Does anyone have any ideas?  I have spoken to my doc and a nutritionist about this and they are clueless and disinterested.  My calorie intake is anywhere from 900 - 1300 cals/day, and I have shown my food diary to both the doc and the nutritionist.  I get the impression they don't believe me as neither of them can suggest anything for me to try.  How are my symptoms physically possible?