Gastroenterology Community
GE junction above diaphragm

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

GE junction above diaphragm

I have a hiatal hernia and test show that 50 - 75% of my stomach is above the diaphragm and that the GE junction is also above the diaphragm.  I am also having acid reflux.  When the GE junction is above the diaphragm does this normally need to be fixed surgically.  If so, what are the complications associated with this surgery?  Look forward to hearing from anyone with any info on this.
CalmBreeze, with that amount of stomach above the diaphragm, it's often suggested that surgery is necessary/important. There are side-effects with the surgery, all of which should be fully discussed with your GI doc. Make sure you discuss all the pro's and con's - don't let him brush by them. There will be several things that you will need to adjust to.