Gastroenterology Community
Gastro Surgery

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Gastro Surgery

In October of 2007 my husband had emergency surgery due to a small bowell obstruction caused by the mesh from a previous surgery (colon cancer and hernia repair in 2000) adherding to his small intestine.  Recently from his medical records I found that during that surgery his body temperature went down to 84 and he went into respiratory failure and this was why he was place in ICU and on the ventilator for 3 days.  My question is could this be the cause of the anxiety and depression and personality change.  My husband went into the hospital one person and came out another.

Also he now has thousands of polyps in his stomach and they have tried several medicines and even probotics to get the nausea and diarrhea under control as well as the pain after he eats no matter how little or how much.  We are at wits end because that keep posponing stomach removal surgery to try other things.  This has been going on for 15 months now and he has been treated for IBS also, nothing seems to help. We are seeing a 2nd opinion doctor at the present time.
We went back to gastro dr. today, the probotics are not working.  The gastro doctor now is wanting to try Despramine for a couple of week to see if this will work, he is now looking at maybe during surgery the vagus nerve was cut.  If this doesn't work he will then send my husband to a gastro doctor in Atlanta.  He said this is the last thing he knows to try, he said because of my husbands history the capsule test might not be the right way to go to look at the small intesting because it could cause a small bowel blockage which would me emergency surgery.

What are your thoughts on this.