Gastroenterology Community
Grade 4 esophagitis

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Grade 4 esophagitis

I was recently diagnosed with grade 4 severe esophagitis with ulcers in the esophagus and colitis with ulcers.  I'm on prevacid and nexium every day for the past 2 months.  I am still waking up choking at night with GERD, I don't go back to the dr until Feb, should the meds be relieving my symptoms by now?  Does the stomach acid cause the ulcers in my colon?  My bloodwork from another dr came back very deficient and low in vitamin d, which is strange, I drink plenty of milk, even though i have reflux with it.  I wonder if the deficiency is from the ulcers.  How long should it take for the ulcers in my colon to go away.  I have a very sore spot on my lower left back, that I am assuming was an ulcer, dr said it was possible.  First we thought it was endometriosis on an ovary, but after total hyst the pain was still there.  It has eased up now, i just want to know when it will go away.  Any help would be great.
I understand about waking up at night choking. It is very scary. I have to remind myself to remain calm. I wake up with my thoart burning so bad it brings tears to my eyes.  My doctor prescribed me a GI cocktail.  It is also called magic mouthwash.  It is a combination of mylanta and lidocaine. What is does is numb the pain long enough for me to be able to go back to sleep.  Keep your bed elevated to all most a sitting position. If you have been on med's for a month than I would call your doctors office to let them know that you are not getting any relief from your medication. Do not wait till Feb. Also try Lactaid milk seems to be a lot gentler on the stomach. Sorry I don't have any information on the other concern. Good luck.

P/S Remember our doctors are there to help us. If you are not receiving excellent care then do not be afraid to find one who will.