Gastroenterology Community
How long does it take for the digestive system to recover from a stomac...

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

How long does it take for the digestive system to recover from a stomach virus?

I came down with a nasty stomach virus on April 5.  I was dehydrated and taken to the E.R. in which I was administered fluids and a shot to control the diarrhea and vomiting.  The following week, I could barely eat.  The doctor told me to follow the B.R.A.T diet which I did.  During this time, I even lost my appetite.  Now, going on week three, my appetite came back strong but I'm not able to eat the same foods I use to eat because I get nausecous.  I'm able to eat lean chicken, vegetables, noodles with no cream sauce, non-acidic fruits, and continuing with the B.R.A.T.  I went to the doctor last Friday and had blood, urine, and an H. pylori test done and all came back normal.  Next week, I will have an ultrasound down on my stomach and gallbladder.

Does anyone know realistically, how long it takes for the stomach and intestines to get back to normal after a bout with viral gastroenteritis?  I'm ready to eat and enjoy my favorite foods again.
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  It can sometimes take the stomach a long time to recover from gastroenteritis, it just varies from person to person.