Is it Thyroid Infection or food pipe infection?
I now have for more than 3 weeks left thyroid swollen (not very visible, but pains when palpated and is certainly bulged) and I also have mild fever from afternoon till next day morning. I have started Antibiotics tablet CLAVIN-625(Amoxycillin 500 mg & Potassium Clavulanate 125mg twice everyday and also another tablet Enractin which has Tirypsin 48mg, Bromelain 90mg, Rutocide Trihydratde 100mg. I would like to know if FNA & drainage of possible thyroid abbssses is necessary while i am taking antibiotics? I am afraid if by the time antibiotics 5days are over, if the thyroid swelling does not go away, i will again have to go through torrid time i went trhough for 20 days...( fatigue, feverish, pain in thyroid and difficulty in swallowing...feeling very very sick). From 2 days since i am on antibiotics, fever is not there, but thyroid is tender and it pains..though slightly less than earlier. thanks.
How did they ome up with the diagnosis of thyroid abscess? This would be somewhat bizarre. An infection in a nearby lymph node would be much more common. To answer your question, an abscess pretty much any where should be drained because the antibiotics can only go where your blood does. Because the bacteria have a safe haven in the abscess cavity the antibiotics can't get to them. Draining the abscess allows the antibiotics to take care of the surrounding tissue infection.