Gastroenterology Community
Ischemic colitis and the lap band

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Ischemic colitis and the lap band

I had lap band surgery about one year ago.  I have done well except for the usual "getting used to" the rules of living with this tool.  I recently developed out of the blue ischemic colitis and was hospitalized for 5 days with bowel rest, antibiotics.  Had a colonscopy while in the hospital and it showed no imflammation, 2 polyps, diverticulitis.  But the CT scan showed acute ischemic colitis.  2 days of diarrhea, severe abdominal pain, with bloody diarrhea took me to the hospital.  My GI doctor said the lap band could cause this.  My lap band surgeon freaked and said that there is no literature to support his opinion.  My question is can the lap band cause this condition?  Or is it just a large weight loss in general that can cause this? I started at 250 and weigh now 190, 60 pounds is aveage for one year out.  Thanks.....Melkel
Tags: Colitis
Melkel, it would be interesting to hear why your GI doc said what he did. I'm wondering if he mis-spoke and didn't completely elaborate on the full extent of what he actually meant. From what I understand, there are no reports of the lap band directly causing problems like ischemic colitis. But it can contribute to problems like dehydration which, in turn, can result in ischemic colitis in some individuals especially in those prone to clots.

You may want to directly ask your GI doc to explain the statement the next time you see him/her.