Gastroenterology Community
LOUD STOMACH

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

LOUD STOMACH

Last year, while sitting in lecture/class, my stomach randomly started gurgling, growling, and squelching. It was so loud, everyone, including the professor, stopped and stared at me. I was so embarrassed. Ever since then, I have been feeling a bit of anxiety...I'm worried about being in a quiet place (especially) with strangers out of fear of embarrassing myself like that again. And, yes, the more nervous I get, the more it starts to rumble, which in turn makes me more nervous and thus the problem persists and gets worse...

Being a college student, I have been very stressed out, but have learned to manage my nerves and stay calm, and thus my stomach loudness has stopped.... until yesterday and it's randomly continuing today...

It's not as bad as it was last year, but just the fact that it's starting again is upsetting me. I'm taking vitamins and some Chinese herbal pills that my acupuncturists gave me (which is suppose to help with stress and relax the stomach). I make sure I always eat before I go to class, I drink water and teas... I'm not hungry and my BM are regular... it's just noisy and I have no idea why! I did have many tests done by a Gastroenterologists - nothing came back as being anything (no Crohns, no Colitis, no parasites, etc...nothing!), except an endoscopy did show that I have moderate Gastroenteritis and I assume the issue is stemming from that - my stomach is inflamed, more stomach acid is being produced thus causing more irritation...

I know I just have to stay calm (until everything heals and regulates back to normal), but it's just so so so embarrassing and shocking, that my nerves just fire and I get really anxious about it immediately. I mean, this has happened while taking exams, not only does it distract me, but I'm sure other students get bothered by it as well [at least on some level]. It also occurs randomly - even when I don't feel stressed at all... I just feel so horrible about it and don't know what to do...

Does anyone else have this LOUD stomach issue? What do you do/take that helps?
(any advice would be appreciated to no end!)