Gastroenterology Community
Liver Disease and Neomycin

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Liver Disease and Neomycin

My husband suffers from severe liver disease.  He also has a TIPS in his liver.  My question is that his ammonia levels go high sometimes and I know the effects so I make sure he takes him Lactulose.  My question is where does the neomycin come into play here.  His attending physician told me that it works with the lactulose to reduce the ammonia level.  I have done some research on Neomycin but all I can find is that it's an antibiotic.  Any information on the use of this drug in relation to ammonia levels in the body is greatly appreciated.  Thank you.  Deborah Kettell
Look at the doc's comment on this board about Neomycin: http://*****************/c/Hepatitis-C/forum/420138-lactulose-rid-ammonia