Gastroenterology Community
Looking for safe alternative to Miralax

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Looking for safe alternative to Miralax

My son has encopresis and has to take 17 grams of Miralax every day.  It's difficult to get him to drink it (in powder form, mixed into a liquid).  Is there a safe alternative, in pill form, that he could take instead?  It's something he has to take long-term, and I haven't found anything that seems to be a good match based on the labels.
Ask a pharmacist if a gelatin capsule filled with Miralax would work for your son - if he drank a lot of water/fluid with it. If so, talk to a compounding pharmacist to see if they can place the Miralax powder into gelatin capsules for you. It's going to mean a lot of capsules but it might be worth a try.

If it works, you then might be able to buy the capsules and the tiny tray apparatus and do the filling yourself. It's not difficult.