Aa
A
A
Close
More GI Help Needed - Read Ahead.
I posted a question not too long ago explaining my inability to have a BM without stimulant laxatives (containing senna), and this is just an update of that experience.

I forgot to mention that since late January of last year, I was suffering pretty badly from bulimia and I had anorexic tendencies. Today, I have been about 3 or 4 weeks clean of my bulimia, my habits changed by simply starting a healthier diet and occasional exercise. During the late stages of my bulimia, around... I'd say December or January of this year, I started having constipation, my thoughts that it was due to my awful habits and lack of nutrition.

I went to an immediate care clinic (as our doctor had died and we no longer had one, and we have pretty bad medical insurance) and the guy didn't do a very good job of diagnosing or helping me. He just told me to drink water soaked in ginger root. I did, for about 2 days, and I bought some lemon ginger tea hoping that it wouldn't taste like Pinesol.

It didn't help much, only a little bit, and I quickly turned to laxatives and enemas (Fleet). Everything seemed to work for a while, and eventually I got hooked on them to help me, which by this time I'm sure has really damaged my GI. However, like I said, I've changed completely - I stopped the bulimia and anorexia cold turkey - but maybe that is what is causing my /severe/ constipation, a sudden change in habits like last time? I mention again that I have a diet that is high in fiber, but extremely low in fat (I have fat free mayo, milk, yogurt, etc. in my fridge so I can enjoy the things I used to eat without fear of tonnes of grams of fat) which may be bad for me as well, but I am not sure how willing I am to add a lot of fat to my diet. (It's safe to say at this point that I'm borderline orthorexic.)

My point here with this is: with this additional information, in combination with my previous plea for help from my constipation and abdominal pain, what can I do to get myself back to regularity without the aid of outside medication? I just want to be able to have normal BMs like I used to and not have to worry for my health.

(Note: As I said, we no longer have a doctor and seriously can not afford to visit one, at all. I have heard that Miralax works wonders for others and isn't a dependent medication, and will get me back to being regular and then I could stop the Miralax regiment? Please provide additional information on this if you can.)
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  It is possible that you have permanently damaged your GI tract from the anorexia/bulimia.  I would recommend trying Miralax.  It is not addictive, but it won't solve your problem; it will only help treat the current constipation.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank