Gastroenterology Community
More GI Help Needed - Read Ahead.

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

More GI Help Needed - Read Ahead.

I posted a question not too long ago explaining my inability to have a BM without stimulant laxatives (containing senna), and this is just an update of that experience.

I forgot to mention that since late January of last year, I was suffering pretty badly from bulimia and I had anorexic tendencies. Today, I have been about 3 or 4 weeks clean of my bulimia, my habits changed by simply starting a healthier diet and occasional exercise. During the late stages of my bulimia, around... I'd say December or January of this year, I started having constipation, my thoughts that it was due to my awful habits and lack of nutrition.

I went to an immediate care clinic (as our doctor had died and we no longer had one, and we have pretty bad medical insurance) and the guy didn't do a very good job of diagnosing or helping me. He just told me to drink water soaked in ginger root. I did, for about 2 days, and I bought some lemon ginger tea hoping that it wouldn't taste like Pinesol.

It didn't help much, only a little bit, and I quickly turned to laxatives and enemas (Fleet). Everything seemed to work for a while, and eventually I got hooked on them to help me, which by this time I'm sure has really damaged my GI. However, like I said, I've changed completely - I stopped the bulimia and anorexia cold turkey - but maybe that is what is causing my /severe/ constipation, a sudden change in habits like last time? I mention again that I have a diet that is high in fiber, but extremely low in fat (I have fat free mayo, milk, yogurt, etc. in my fridge so I can enjoy the things I used to eat without fear of tonnes of grams of fat) which may be bad for me as well, but I am not sure how willing I am to add a lot of fat to my diet. (It's safe to say at this point that I'm borderline orthorexic.)

My point here with this is: with this additional information, in combination with my previous plea for help from my constipation and abdominal pain, what can I do to get myself back to regularity without the aid of outside medication? I just want to be able to have normal BMs like I used to and not have to worry for my health.

(Note: As I said, we no longer have a doctor and seriously can not afford to visit one, at all. I have heard that Miralax works wonders for others and isn't a dependent medication, and will get me back to being regular and then I could stop the Miralax regiment? Please provide additional information on this if you can.)
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  It is possible that you have permanently damaged your GI tract from the anorexia/bulimia.  I would recommend trying Miralax.  It is not addictive, but it won't solve your problem; it will only help treat the current constipation.