Gastroenterology Community
Nausea, abdominal pain and fatigue

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Nausea, abdominal pain and fatigue

My 17 yr. old daughter has been experiencing nausea, abdominal cramps and fatigue for 6 weeks. She has been to her GP and a GI doctor. During this time frame she has had numerous blood work/test done, checking for thyroid, celiac, mono, h.pylori and more. She had a pelvic ultrasound and is going tomorrow for an abdominal ultrasound.
All tests results have come back negative - no signs of anything. She is not pregnant nor is she experiencing any anxiety or stress, other than stress relating to feeling sick everyday and missing lots of school days. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions, especially if the abdominal ultrasound shows nothing wrong? It's very frustrating for her when she has been a very healthy girl up till this. Anyideas/suggestions would be gratly appreciated.
Sorry to hear your daughter is sick.  My 14 year old son has not gone to school in a year.  He is nauseated daily and had abdominal pain (better with meds).  He is fatigued and experiences some dizziness.  He was frequently sick with the nausea and abdominal pain for 3 years before it started being a daily event last February.  

Finally, last June, we got the correct diagnosis.  He has autonomic dysfunction (dysautonomia).  The autonomic nervous system runs everything that is involuntary (heart rate, body temperature, blood pressure, digestion).  If this system goes out of whack, then it can make you sick.  It is much more common for girls to get it than boys.  All of my sons tests came back negative as well, because the organs themselves are fine, it is the autonomic nervous system that runs them that is not fine.

They kept telling me my son had anxiety or was depressed, which I knew he wasn't.  Check your daughters heart rate while lying down, again, while sitting, and again while standing.  If it goes up 30 or more beats from lying to standing, this is a good indication.  Although, my sons doesn't always go up 30 (sometimes as little as 10 beats) or sometimes as much as 60 beats.

Do some research and see if any of it applies.  Doctors are not well versed in this and it is hard to get a diagnosis because of that.

Good luck.