Gastroenterology Community
Nausea after Ibuprofen

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Nausea after Ibuprofen

Saw recent question regarding nausea after taking frequent ibuprofen.  I also developed nausea over the last 3 weeks after taking a lot of ibuprofen for sudden joint pain in my fingers which was very severe.  I am 68 yrs old but this is the first time I have had continuous pain in my fingers and hands like this.  I also have interstitial cystitis and take Lortabs for that.  They don't help the joint pain (much).  Ibuprofen did help it but then I got this daily nausea that comes and goes, better after eating.  I had my gallbladder ,out 6 months ago after a lot of back pain before and afterthe procedure and strange appetite changes where I no longer like coffee and only want starchy things to eat. Went to doc last week, all chemistry screens were normal.  No heliocobacter pylori.  No liver or kidney signs.  She put me on Prevacid and said take Pepcic AC for a week until Prevacid kicks in good.  Nausea stopped for two days.  Now it is back.  Should I try going up to double dose of Prevacid.  I also tried taking Celebrex, but it irritated the lining of my bladder and made my interstitial cystitis worse.  Had to stop it.  Nausea is severe today.  I am frightened but the tests all seem normal etc.  I wake up in the mornings ravenous and nauseated at the same time.  Do you think it is still just the stomach lining irritation from the two weeks that I took two Ibuprofen every 5 hours round the clock during the day?  thank you

This discussion is related to Nausea, Ibuprofen, and Gall Bladder.
Hi.  I have had Acid Reflex for years and am on a daily dose of Prevacid.  I recently had colon surgery and had to go on pain meds.  I have to watch Ibrufroin ( sp?) as if I take more than a couple of days, I also get nauseated.  I think it is because of the acid in the stomach and the drug is hard on the stomach.  What I do is try to only take one and only with a large meal.  Even then, after a few days, I will have to take a break or I will develop nausea for a couple of days.  I definately think that taking all of that ibroprofin could cause that much irritation. 2 years ago, I had Valley Fever and was taking alot, like you are, and it caused me to get esophagitis....stopped taking and it went away.  Hope this helps...