Gastroenterology Community
Nexium Vs Prilosec
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Nexium Vs Prilosec

I have been trying to find a replacement for Nexium since it has been taken off my UHC Rx list back in 11/2006. Currently I'm trying Zegerid (40mg) and Prilosec OTC 20mg. They seem to both provide some relief but I'm also concerned being a long term (over 5+years) user of PPI Rx. Is either one "safer" to take long term? Nexium did work the best for me, any suggestions on other 3rd generation PPIs with as safe a track record? Thanks
Paul.
Related Discussions
Have been on OTC Prilosec for ~5 years now (initially was prescription).  My PCP now writes a presciption for this and it's much cheaper, not too many people know that you can do this.  Also tried Zegerid and Nexium, not any real difference with trying these.  Surprised you can't get a preauthorization/preapproval for Nexium, which would make it more affordable for you.

None of these have been tested on a long-term basis, but they haven't found any big problems with people taking these meds longterm.

There's also Prevacid and Protonix, each of these PPI's works slightly differently and ultimately it's how you feel after taking them that really matters.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...