Gastroenterology Community
Overnight acute and severe abdominal pain

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hi Guys, Hope you can help with this as my doctor seems a bit baffled.

I do suffer from Gallstone attacks and am currently awaiting an appointment with a specialist to see what treatment I shall recieve for that, I have not had an attack for around 2months currently.

Around 12 days ago I was woken up after about 4 hours sleep by severe cramping in my abdomen as a whole.  The feeling is nothing like I have felt with many gallstone attacks.

The pain seems to originate in the upper left (front) and passes around to the back as well as the whole gut in cramps.  It only occurs overnight in painful bouts but  there is discomfort there daytime also.  I have no issues with bowel movements or passing water.  I do not feel sick, just very tired from very disturbed sleep.

If I get out of bed the symptoms subside after around 1-2hours and everything seems back to normal.

Originally the doctor prescribed an anti spasmodic (Mebeverine I think) which did nothing at all to help.  He has since suggested that it may be an ulcer of some sort and has prescribed a proton pump inhibitor which I have been taking for around 5 days now but the pain and overnight disturbance is increasing and I am quite worried about it now.

When the cramps occur they put me on the point of tears and really knock the wind out of me.

No heartburn at all either.

Oddly my stomach constantly feels 'empty' and I am wanting to look for food all the time.

My weight is pretty much spot on at 160lbs (71kg) and I am generally healthy, eat a very good diet (pretty low fat due to gallstones).

Any help would be most appreciated.
If you are a person that sleeps on your stomach try sleeping on your side or back. Pressure can cause your intestines to move around. I have problems and had  to go to a big university they found I have what is called blind loop symdrom. This is where the intestines can twist around each other. It is very painful and there is not a lot that can be done for it. I know when it happens I have to go to ER as the intestines if twisted to long can die from not getting the blood supply that is needed. So far they have worked it out on there own.