Gastroenterology Community
Passing blood clots multiple times a day with diarrhea for 2+ months

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I am female, 48 and have had loose stools, which I now understand is actually diarrhea for 6+ months.

About 4 months ago, I had a little blood show up after my bowel movement . It lasted 8 days and then went away all on it's own. I had been eating a lot of sunflower seeds at the time so I discontinued them and all symptoms went away.

About 2+ months ago, I began noticing bright red blood again, every day several times a day, but heavier in volume and it has progressively worsened to multiple clots that are more dominant in the bowel movement (diarrhea) then anything else. I don't have any discomfort at all, except for the moments leading up to knowing I need to rush to the toilet, which I would consider typical for anyone who has diarrhea.

I went to see a gastroenterologist, who had me collect a 2 day stool sample for analysis along with blood work and all the lab work came back "negative".

I was then told my next step would be to schedule a colonoscopy and endoscopy to get a better idea of what was happening internally... that was over a week ago and they have yet to work me into the schedule. When I discuss the matter with the gastro she doesn't appear to be very concerned, however, passing this volume of blood rectally, is very disturbing to me and I don't know what more I can do to get my point across.  

I don't think I have a problem graphically describing the severity of the situation, to get the point across, but maybe someone else reading this can tell me if I have been negligent in expressing necessary details.

Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.    

Rectal bleeding is never normal and should always be medically investigated.  So that you are better informed when you next meet your physician, google rectal bleeding and click on to one of the many sites - the Medicinenet site is particularly informative.

An endoscopy and especially a colonoscopy are relevant tests to uncover the origin of the problem and it's good news that these have been authorised.

If you are losing large amounts of blood (e.g. ~50 ml +) at a time then you may wish to seek more urgent medical advice rather than wait for your scheduled next appointment.

regards
Morecambe
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers