Gastroenterology Community
Rectal descent

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Rectal descent

Has anyone had surgery for this? I am now on my 3rd day post surgery and dreading going to the rest room...yet I know I have to...any minute now. I know things will be better; at least I hope they will!
Wish I had seen your comment earlier.  The surgeon or his nurses should have told you what to do when you have to go to the bathroom.  You should ask a nurse to please give you either Vaseline or plain KY jelly to swab on your rear, so that way when waste passes, it won't hurt as much and it will allow waste to pass easier, which will also help protect the sutures.

Well, maybe next time you go, if you've already gone the first time since you wrote your post, if it bothered you, you can get a lubricant put on there.  It is a good idea to clean the area before putting lotions or anything like that on there.  If a tub or shower bath isn't available to you yet, gentle Baby Wipes before applying lube should do it.  It's just to prevent existing waste that may have collected previously from getting trapped by the Vaseline and possibly infecting your incision.  KY jelly is really the best since it's water soluble, and thus water removes it completely, and yet it is an excellent lubricant.

Also, try not to strain when you go to the bathroom.  Hey, if it's not ready to come out, just leave it there until it will just come right on out by itself.  You don't want to strain the muscles that have failed you in the past.  I might add that if you use lubricant and yet using the toilet is very painful for you, then your doctor may be willing to prescribe some pain killers you can take an hour before going to the bathroom, which you should be on those anyway, since any surgery to the rectal area is going to really sting.

Let us know how things went for you.  Others would likely gain from your experience if they ever need to search for their own upcoming surgery like yours.