Slightly Elevated ALT and ALP
36 y/o caucasian male here. No major health issues aside from a psychiatric disorder.

I recently had a Blood Chemistry panel done for insurance purposes and the following LFT numbers were flagged as "HIGH".

SGPT (ALT)  47 U/L (Lab "NORMAL" ranges 0 - 45 U/L)
Alkaline Phosphatase 119 U/L (Lab "NORMAL" ranges 30 - 115 U/L)

All other LFT numbers were well within the normal ranges, and no other test numbers were flagged. GGT, AST, Bilirubin all NORMAL. No Hep B or Hep C, as they tested for these as well.

I haven't had any alcohol for over 3 years, am far from overweight, not diabetic and don't have any symptoms that might suggest "severe" liver issues. My last Blood Panel was 2 years ago and nothing got flagged. However, I do take a psychiatric med which, in the drug literature for this particular med, it is stated that one possible side effect is "transient elevations of serum transaminases and alkaline phosphatase". Big red flag there! In addition, I take a PPI for gastritis.

I have faxed a copy of these results to my gastro doc, and will be going in to see my Psych doc next week. I am thinking that one of my meds is the culprit for these numbers. Ironically, neither of my specialists have ever informed me that I needed regular LFTs while on these particular meds. However, it appears that this should have been happening all along while on the treatments -- I found this information while searching the net; not a WORD from the docs. Not to happy about that.

Here are my concerns...which I plan to voice to my doctors.

1. Are my numbers elevated to a point where I may have chronic liver damage? Some medical websites have variations in what is considered a "normal" reading for ALT and ALP numbers, and on many of those, I don't read abnormal. Basically, how worried should I be about those numbers?

2. If it is in fact one or more of the meds at work, what can I do? One of the two meds I cannot stop taking, and a dose reduction would be disruptive, to say the least.

3. What tests should I ask for to rule out liver problems? As stated, I have already tested neg. for Hep B and C. Should I push for more bloodwork? An ultrasound?

Any help with my questions would be greatly appreciated. My health anxiety is currently through the roof (part of the pathology of my disorder) -- and will be until I can get in and see my docs...