Gastroenterology Community
Solution for diahrrea/loose bowel after gall bladder surgery!!!!

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

When I was 17, I had my gall bladder removed, and my whole life changed.  I could never eat the way I used to, and I never had a normal "pooping" schedule again.  Immediately after the surgery, anything that I ate, would make me go to the bathroom with urgency, sometimes after taking just a few bites of food. I was depressed because of this. I could not go out with friends to eat, go to parks, go hiking, or anything that involved being away from home, or a bathroom. I went to doctors regarding this problem, and they did all kinds of tests, including a colonoscopy, but found nothing abnormal with me, yet still didn't give me an answer or solution to my problem.
I was 24 years old, when I discovered, through the internet, a solution to my problem.  I did research and found that many people had this problem, after gall bladder surgery.  After reading, I discovered and got from my doctor a medicine called "Questran" or cholestyramine.  It is intended for lowering cholesterol, but works AMAZING for this diarrhea/loose stool problem.  It comes in little single-dose packages, and is a powder that I mix with about 3-4 ounces of water.  Every morning as soon as I wake up, I mix and drink my solution...by the time I get ready for work, and head out the door, about an hour's time has passed and I can eat ANYTHING that I want, without having to worry about needing to go to the bathroom.  
I'm now 30 years old, and I have been taking cholestyramine for about 6 years.  It changed my life.  I can now have a normal life and do/eat anything that I want.  The only down-side is that you have to take it every morning and wait about an hour before eating, but it is totally worth it, because for the rest of the day, there are no more embarassing bathroom trips. Also, I have to constantly purchase the medicine, which is about $60 for a 60-day supply (without insurance).
I know how devastated some of you may feel because of this, I suffered from it for 7 years myself.  Please try that medicine and you will see that your life too will change and you'll be able to be your old self again.  Good luck to you and please repost this or share this info with anyone who has this problem. It'll change their lives.  Thank you!