Gastroenterology Community
Stomach Virus vs colon problems
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Stomach Virus vs colon problems

I have had two episodes where I thought I had a stomach virus/flu, but the pain was very intense like never before. Both times started with a short bout of diarrhea with very severe abdominal pain that made me wonder if I had appendicitis. The pain was all over my lower abdomen and not really localized to one side. After the initial pain I had a lot of swelling in my lower abdominal area for a fews day with soreness that made it difficult to walk to walk or sit, and rectal pressure. At one point the pain even seemed to be in my bladder area, but no problems urinating, just pressure. Both times there were known stomach viruses going around but most people did not have the severe pain and it only lasted a day or two. Mine went on for 3-4 days. I am 46 years old and have had signs of IBS and a spastic colon. My mother was diagnosed with diverticulosis when she was in her 40's, she did not know she had it until she had an absess (abscess). Can a stomach be worsened if I have a problem with my colon or can gastrenteritis have these symptoms?