Gastroenterology Community
colonoscopy before surgery on umbilical hernia

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

can umbilical hernia surgery be done(stress free), with-out a Colonoscopy first?
Sure.  The timing makes no difference.  Of course, if you have a bunch of other digestive symptoms besides the umbilical hernia, of course you wouldn't want to put off the colonoscopy forever.  I suppose it IS possible the umbilica hernia is more than just a muscle tear...could be the bowel has come through there, and maybe the surgeons want to know if the intestine is compromised by the hernia before they operate.  Me, I'd do things exactly as they are in place, like if you have a colonoscopy scheduled first and then the hernia repair, KEEP it that way.  And certainly if the docs prefer you get the colonoscopy done first, with what I've said in mind, of course do things as they wish.  If you have fear of colonoscopy, there's no big deal about it, really, they should sedate you to where you will have the happiest day of the year right there in the exam office, so don't worry.  And also could be there is no choice in the matter, could be surgical protocol dictates you must have colonoscopy first or else.