Gastroenterology Community
coughing/gagging after eating -- remedy

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

coughing/gagging after eating -- remedy

This is not a question.  I was trying to post an answer to a question but couldn't figure out how.  Anyway, for some time, I have had frequent coughing/gagging attacks, which almost always occur after eating.  I have come to believe that it is a result of my throat becoming irritated while eating, often along with very small particles of food getting caught in my throat.  This triggers mucus creation in my throat, which causes the problem.  I haven't figured out how to stop this from happening, but I have figured out that taking any generic, over-the-counter, 4-hour allergy pill stops the attack in a short time.  I highly recommend trying it if you suffer from these type of episodes.

This discussion is related to Gagging and coughing after eating.
Thought I would share my story--I saw this post a long time ago.  I had this same thing happen for several years--I would eat just about any food, and within 5-10 minutes my throat would fill up with sticky phlegm, and I would choke, gag, hack, and cough for 20 minutes to a half hour, and often would cough until I would vomit.  The coughing fits became worse over the years, and I had to stop eating breakfast because I choked and vomited so much from the hacking.  My nose would sometimes drip within a minute or two (actually running down my face) and I would have blow my nose at the table.  Sometimes it would fill up so bad I couldn't breathe well.  It was horrible!  I had a lot of other health problems as well, such as tiredness, sluggishness, morning sickness, dark undereye circles, etc. etc.  I had my thyroid tested and it came back normal.  I went to several doctors and no one could figure out what was wrong.  I was Googling the symptoms (which is how I came across this post originally) and it didn't seem like anyone had a clear idea of what *exactly* it could be.  Well by chance, I went to an allergist (for indoor/outdoor allergies).  She did a skin test, and a bunch of stuff came up.  Well, I mentioned the food issues and she told me to go get a blood test to check for food intolerences, which I did.  Much to my shock, they discovered a WHEAT/GLUTEN intolerance that I was COMPLETELY unaware of--I cut it out and 100% of my symptoms stopped IMMEDIATELY and cleared up within a day!  It was unreal!  Now, I can tell within minutes if I've consumed something that wasn't 100% gluten-free--the hacking/coughing/runny nose/gagging starts in within five minutes!!!!!  Otherwise, I *NEVER* get the coughing after eating anymore!  Just wanted to share in case you have similar problems--it took me several years to get it diagnosed (and they can only find it with a blood test!)  =)