Gastroenterology Community
ferritin

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

ferritin

hi i did a routine blood test and my alt was 30, ast 21 and all other lft's were normal, but there is something that concerns me, i live in australia and i also tested ferritin it was 305 and the range here is 20-500 so it was considered normal, but im a worrier and i researched it and most of the threads state that it is high, should be around 70-150. I have been doing weight training for 20 years and i eat alot of protein rich meals could the iron content have raised the level, i eat 4 main meals and 3 snacks a day all with high protein...
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  The normal ranges do vary from lab to lab, but I would say that in most places 305 is high.  What were the units?  This could be related to your diet or it could be a disease (namely hemochromatosis).