Gastroenterology Community
gallstone

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

gallstone

I have a 2.5 cm * 1.5 cm gallstone.  I ahve no pain.  should i get my gallbalder out.

please help me.

thanks
My doctor told me that it was necessary. I never had any symptoms until 3 weeks ago. While shopping with my young daughther, I was hit with a hard pain in the upper center chest area just under the center of my bra. It definitly scared me. Im 32 with a little extra weight. My first thought was I may be having a heart attack. I gathered myself and got to the hospital asap. They did some test and sent me home with pain meds. I made an appt with my PCP for a follow up. (I just was their and got a clean bill of health the week before). The only way they could tell me what was wrong was by doing a Ultrasound. It came back with stones but fortunatly for me no blockage. They refered me to a specialist. After speaking with him and talking to others. Having it removed was my best option. If you prolong it then you will get worse. Your gallbladder is not working as it is. It will just rot if you dont have it removed. I had an Aunt that left hers untreated and later almost died from gaingreen (sorry for the spelling). They removed her gallbladder in pieces and told her she was very lucky. I have had mine remove 5 days ago. Everyday things get a little easier. The surgery was not bad, the hospital stay was not bad and even the 4 incisions are not too bad. The constipation is something to address in advance. It was hell for me. My second worse pain I ever had. My first was giving birth. Be prepared that after the constipation you will have the runs and maybe some vomiting. Unfortunatly for me they all hit me the same day. So ask many questions, especially take measure to prevent the constipation. They say that the pain meds and the anesthesia slows your system down. So that is the main thing I would recommend. Im not feeling good yet, but like I said it is day 5 and everyday gets a little easier. My belly is sore and I have some pain in the upper right quad. I have to keep reminding myself that I had an organ removed and that the recovery will not happen over night or even in one week. Im planning for a few weeks of crazy bloating, being sore and having the runs. Im hoping for the best and I have a good DR. So with that being said we will see how things go! GOOD LUCK TO YOU. I hope this helps in some way.
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers