Gastroenterology Community
gastroparesis/botox injections

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

gastroparesis/botox injections

I would like to know if anyone has had botox injections to treat their gastroparesis.  I was recently diagnosed with gastroparesis.  I haven't had any luck with medications and I am scheduled for the botox injections on Feb. 1, 2008.  I am unsure if I should go ahead with the proceedure.  I would appreciate any input.
I have not had the procedure done, but if they're injecting into the lower sphincter of the stomach (the pyloric sphincter) there were two people on WebMD - one of the digestive boards - at one point who said they had had it done and it helped them.

Botox is used in several situations in the GI system when they want to try to 'relax' a muscular openings. It's being used quite a bit in gallbladder issues when they need to keep the muscular opening from the common bile duct to the duodenum open (the sphincter of Oddi) to make sure that bile doesn't back up and cause pancreatitis. It's an alternative to using a stent in that specific case.

I hope it's very successful for you.