laxative abuse...consequences
Hey...well, i have been using laxatives for the past 6 years...and by using, i mean that i take about 45 or more per day just so that i can use the restroom.  a few years back when i was always going to the dr., i always had low potassium and was in ketosis.  i was in & out of the hospital.  Now that i have moved, the doctors here will not help me stop.  they don't think its that big of a deal, and i'm beginning to have severe pains up under my ribcage. i need to stop taking them, and hopefully get rid of this pain.  any ideas??  could i have created any probs within that i need to go find a doctor who will help? thanks.
Obviously no one should take the large and frequent amount of laxative that you have.  What happens is, the body becomes "dependent" on them and you are treating symptoms instead of the cause.  You should have a urinalysis and a blood workup done to see how your chemistry is doing.  I think you should also see a gastro doctor.  In the meantime, a simple reason for the potassium, ketosis, and constipation can be dehydration.  So, you've got to drink several glasses of extra water in the daytime.  Eating things like oat bran based foods (toast, cheerios) will increase fiber, bananas will increase potassium, wheat spagetti is great for the digestion.