Gastroenterology Community
lump in inner wall of rectum

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

lump in inner wall of rectum

I have had a pea size small lump on the inside rim of my rectum for some time. I have had severe itching issues also. I talked with the drs and have been on various medications for yeast, bacterial and fungal still the itching persists. Now i noticed the lump is about double the size and harder then it was. my bowel movements have been the same my whole life which is always irregular and i have never noticed discharge or blood. my dr doesnt seem to know what is causing this. is there something i should do? should i ask her for a colonoscopy?
Tags: rectum, lumps
I think really any physician should have a look at that lump, just to make sure it isn't suspicious for anything scary.  Chances are you have a hemorrhoid, and this is swollen vascular tissue, and when waste passes by those things, gosh it'll itch and sometimes sting and sometimes bleed just a little.  I'll tell you how to make the itching stop.  

Two ways:  Get some preparation H and put that ointment on there and it'll shrink that bump up and provide some relief.  However, if your bump is, say, an ordinary benign cyst or just a pimple-like bump, the prepH won't work at all, so quit using it.  

My fav way is to get some plain KY jelly in the blue and white tube at the drugstore (not the flavored kinds) and after each bath, put plenty on that whole area.  It'll ease chaffing, which is the source of your itching, bits of waste sometimes stick and that'll further irritate the area, so you need some form of protection on it.  Also, when you pass waste, after the final wipe, while usually the KY will last, you can use some dampened tissue and squirt some of that KY on there and reapply it.  They have some smaller packets you can also buy, so you can take them with you.  KY is gentle, very few ingredients in it, and water soluble, so you can put it right on that bump with no worries whatsoever.

If it turns out to be a hemorrhoid, there are three ways to prevent them, and keep in mind they come and go as digestion improves:  Drink extra water, exercise regular, and eat enough fiber foods daily, like oat cereal, whole grain bread, vegies, dark green salads, introduce them slowly and try several things until a couple seem to help your movements do a little better.  When I got up into my 50s, I had to eat Cheerios every day or I'd have bad digestion.