Gastroenterology Community
massage & burping. any medical explaination?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

We, the whole family, call her Nenek (or Granny, in English.) Ow, not that she’s my grandmother. She’s just a 71 year-old masseur who’s, amazingly, still kicking and alive (otherwise she’d just massage herself instead, wouldn’t she?)

When she first arrived at our house to massage me, she burped. And when she was massaging me, she burped again and again. I thought that was just her old-age habit. But then, as if she could read my wondering mind, she explained to me that she would burp everytime someone needed her help and when she is massaging her client (so I suppose it’s like her “sensor” thingy.) In her opinion, there is some kinda unhealthy air within the unwell muscles and that air has to be drawn out, and at this point she usually burps. Meanwhile, I failed to reach the common sense while trying to picture her explanation in my mind *sigh*

On top of it all, Nenek is a very nice old woman. Very polite. She, in an undeniable way, brings warmth to everyone in the house every time she comes.

Anyway, I still don’t get the logic behind the ‘unhealthy air’ and ’burp’ until now. Maybe I should just ask her again next time. Or can anyone please explain the mechanism (whadda…) to me?
just like in the Philippines,the non medical masseur or we call it "hilot" here, usually burps when they massage a person. they say that bad air or bad energy gives the ill feeling on the patient and by means of massage, they suck out that bad air/energy then burps it out to nothingness.

but there is no medical explanation in here i guess. but to tell you the truth, whenever i massage my mother, I do burp a lot of times hahaha